بِسْمِ اللّهِ الرَّحْمـَنِ الرَّحِيمِ

إِنَّ فِي ذَلِكَ لَذِكْرَى لِمَن كَانَ لَهُ قَلْبٌ أَوْ أَلْقَى السَّمْعَ وَهُوَ شَهِيدٌ
Inna fee thalika lathikra liman kana lahu qalbun aw alqa alssamAAa wahuwa shaheedun
In this, behold, there is indeed a reminder for everyone whose heart is wide-awake-that is,
[every­one who] lends ear with a conscious mind - 50:37


Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Dec 1994 Highlights of the International Festival

by Soumaiya Bousfiha

I would like to thank the Islamic Center [ed. on E. Broad St., IFCO] very much for their participation in representing Islam at the International Festival, November 5th and 6th, which was held at Veteran's Memorial Hall in downtown Columbus. I thank all the brothers and sisters who worked so very hard at planning, setting up the booths, and giving their time for this most important function.

The festival makes one feel like the world comes together in peace and respect, having fun and enjoyment at the same time. It is educational in the sense of providing opportunity for people to learn about other countries, nationalities, cultures, and religions.

I want to especially thank the Islamic Center for giving me the chance to take part and work with them in passing on the Islamic information to non Muslims. It was wonderful to meet brothers and sisters from the Islamic Center, hopefully strengthening our friendship and the relationship between the two masjids. Please allow me to help next year.

A big thanks goes to Hamida Ismael for all her hard work in taking care of the planning, setting-up, and scheduling. You are a joy to work with. Hamida and her husband have gone to and/or worked at the festival since the late 70's. I talked with her about the festival. "We don't go to make money. Our main purpose is to present Islam to non-Muslims and show what Islam is all about. a lot of people have been exposed to Islam through the festival. Also, it is fun working with other ladies. Of course the food and people from other countries are fun and interesting." she said.

I also talked with Shahida Khan and Selwa Abdullah who have both worked in the Festival for 25 years. Selwa said, "We must be at the festival every year to represent Islam as there are many churches represented there. It is good exposure for Islam."

Nabiha Hawramey, who also worked there with me, said, "The international Festival is a wonderful idea and I enjoy it. I like meeting different people from different religions and nationalities."

Alhamdulillah! I found several booths run by Muslims at the Festival. I would be looking at some interesting piece of jewelry or art object and the next thing I knew, the people working there would approach me and say "Asalaam alaikum" and I would find out they were Muslims. This gave me great joy.

I had the honor of meeting new as well as familiar people, and also some new sisters from Bosnia. Mashallah! I feel the world is our neighbor.

"Serve Allah and join not any partners with Him and do good, to parents, kinsfolk, orphans, those in need, neighbors who are of kin, neighbors who are strangers, the companion by your side, the way-farer (you meet). .." (4:36)

Ubn Umar and Aisha related that the Holy Prophet said: Gabriel kept exhorting me about the neighbor until I imagined he would include him in the category of heirs. (Bukhari & Muslim)

Abdullah ibn Umar relates that the Holy Prophet said: The best companion in the sight of Allah is he who behaves best towards his companions, and the best neighbor is he who behaves best towards his neighbors. (Tirmidhi)

Each of us has an obligation to reach out to our neighbors and introduce them to Islam in word, deed, and actions. May Allah bless all who helped make the Festival a success.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this description of how it used to be. I hope we get more participation on the International Festival this year!

    ReplyDelete